If there’s a major holiday, birthday, anniversary, or any special occasion coming up, veer away from the usual and opt for something different as a gift—a cigar. This is a perfect gift for a cigar lover or a unique giveaway for your friends or your loved one. A cigar smoker will surely enjoy the taste and feel of a good cigar. It is even worth the try for non-smokers to savor what a good cigar can offer. Imagine the rolled bundle of dried and fermented leaves—what a great way to puff your lungs out!
It’s relatively simple and easy to find and choose a cigar as a gift. Even those who know nothing about cigars won’t find it hard to look for one. That said, here’s a simple guide on how to choose a cigar as a gift for your loved one, relative, or friend.
1. Visit your local tobacco shop
There’s no better way to look for a cigar than to visit your local tobacco shop. Though you may consider dropping by a grocery store or drugstore, consider the difference below:
- Drugstore or grocery store: Though cigars may be readily available and inexpensive, they are usually filled with preservatives, and may contain saltpeter, paper, glycerin, and other irritants. Such ingredients make for a poorer quality of a cigar.
- Tobacco shop: A local tobacco shop has the widest selection of cigars. You can purchase one that’s 100 percent tobacco. If you’re inexperienced, you can seek help from the salespersons. They will allow you to smell and touch the cigars and will also be able to educate you about the cigar’s ingredients and is the best option for a gift.
2. Examine the cigar wrapper.
While you’re at the local shop, the next step is to examine the cigar wrapper. Here’s what to take note of:
- Color: It’s crucial to take a look at the wrapper of the cigar and inspect the color of the tobacco, particularly the end of the cigar. It’s ideal to go for a smooth cover wrapped tightly around the cigar. Look for any signs of drying or discoloration. If the color changes widely, it’s likely that the cigar wasn’t rolled correctly. When smoking, the cigar will leave uneven burning and an unpleasant smell.
3. Consider the width and length of the cigar.
You have to take into utmost consideration the width and length of the cigar. Take note of the following:
- Length: It’s best to choose a longer cigar if you aren’t sure. Longer cigars are a great option for beginners, as they often have a ‘cooler’ taste.
- Width: It’s best to choose a cigar with a thick diameter if the person you’re giving it to is a regular smoker. Thicker cigars offer a richer flavor suited for the most experienced smokers.
When checking for the quality of a cigar, begin by squeezing it gently. Know that if the cigar gives a little when pressed, it’s a sign of quality cigar. Make sure that the cigar is firm – one that has no spots which are excessively soft or hard.
Cigars have now crossed over the threshold of mainstream culture. In the past, cigars were associated with the rich and powerful. Today, it’s affordable for anyone to buy a good cigar from anywhere in the world.
That said, the best gift to give to your friend, colleague, or loved one is a quality cigar. That will surely carve a smile or two on their faces.
If you’re looking for a cigar humidor gift set for yourself or a loved one, get in touch with us to see how we can help.